Tuesday, October 24, 2006

RDC: Just Street Smart Hustlers?

I know that my last reflective piece was a little bit depressing, but justifiably so. Things in Bongoland could drive any reasonable human being insane. Surpringly, there are folks in Bongoland who don't get it. Actually, they think the recycling of ministers is OK. The rationale being that leaders need a second chance.

Well, in a Tanzanian context that sounds "reasonable". That is because we have a culture of laxity. Sticking to schedules, appointments, responsibilities and so forth is unheard of. So I can understand when an educated Tanzanian thinks it is OK for a minister who messes up in one ministry to be given a second chance at another ministry. It is a cultural perspective, which has nothing to do with logic or common sense.

This is why I am against recycling of leaders. Tanzania is a poor country. That is a drastic situation. Trastic situations require drastic measures. In order for us to make progress, we have to be in a hurry (but intelligently). That would require applying zero tolerance when it comes to mess-ups. Otherwise, we are setting up a wrong precedent that will come to bite us in the butts (unfortunately, the recycling culture that Nyerere set up is still haunting us). We have to be extreme in the change of our culture, thinking and philosophies.

In a local emailing group here in Columbus, we happened to have a discussion about the Richmond Development Corporation as it relates to the supply of power generators. My own Google search didn't not reveal the existence of this company. A certain gentleman called me out, justifiably, for not doing enough research. He kindly provided the RDC's website, which I also kindly provide for the rest of us http://www.rdevco.com.

Guess what? I also did do my own research. The fact of the matter is, the registration records by the State of Texas shows that RDC is not a legally recognized company in the State of Texas. The address shown on the RDC's website is that of Richmond Printing, which happened to be owned by Mohamed Gire, who is at the center of the RDC fiasco. So I am justified to say that the company is not legally existing.

Yes, it is true that the power generators finally got shipped to Bongoland. Nonetheless, that does not stop us from digging deeper into this company. That is because, from a personal standpoint, it bugs me when folks treat Tanzanians as naive and a bunch of fools. In my opinion, Mohamed Gire is nothing more than an opportunist, street smart dude who played his cards right in a corrupt system. Heck, even Net Group, IPTL, Chavda and many more played Tanzanians too.

The RDC website is more than a marketing magnet that is supposed to catch fools rushing in. The "rosy" projects that the company lists are nothing than a hoax. That is because some of the projects, such as the "building of a national sports stadium with the capacity of holding 60,ooo spectators" does not tell us where those projects are carried out. A reputable company would list its clients for verification and establishment of credibility.

A huge red flag about this company is the fact it boasts of completing $500 million worth of projects, while it could not supply electric generators before begging for money from Bank of Tanzania. If a company boats of completing $500 million worth of projects, yet a call to the company "head quarters" goes directly to Mohamed Gire, then something is not adding up.

I don't want to sound ridiculously pessimistic, but we have to see whether the generators would work. But the biggest question, that I am still yet to find an answer to: If Tanesco is responsible for power supply in Tanzania, wouldn't it make more sense for them to order the power generators themselves? Wouldn't that help to cut costs by eliminating the profit margin that the likes of Songas and RDC will make? What is the Tanesco's CEO doing if he can't place an order for a power generator?

Why let the likes of Mohamed Gire do away with millions of dollars for nothing, seriously?

7 comments:

luihamu said...

Its my first time to be here and i have enjoyed your comments and i know you are right,any way hope we will share more.

luihamu said...

to be frank things are tough here in Tanzania.Ithink we Tanzanians should for the better of the next generation,just think for a minute before Idd every youth and family were planning what to eat and what to buy for one day.If you take this simple example you will realise that most of us Tanzanians plan for only one or two days we dont think beyound our nose,Now Idd is over every one is collecting money for x-mas dont you think its weird?The little we collected is now over we star afresh mambo ya twanga chipolopo.Another thing why cant the goverment sell all the luxury(mashangingi) vehicles for ministers to help us poor Tanzanians esp.the orphans.i once read an article and have friends in europe they tell me that the ministers and the proffesors use simple vehicles.We really need to change.Wasalimie wabongo wote tell them TUKO GIZANI HAMNA UMEME.

Jaduong Metty said...

Luihamu,

Thanks for visiting my blog. It amazes me how the majority of Tanzanians simply don't get the fact that we will never see any meaningful progress in this generation. That is due to the fact that we don't have a blue print for progress.

We have been fumbling our way through and I get the sense that Tanzanians have accepted that. Bora liende. Zimamoto type of approach.

Poleni na giza. Sisi huku giza linaingia mapema, sio kwa kukosa umeme, bali ni kwa sababu jua limeamia Kusini.

SIMON KITURURU said...

I just want to say, I have been here a lot silently!Ur one of my favorite Tanzanian bloger!

Jaduong Metty said...

Simon,

Thanks for the compliments. I don't think of myself as the best and the greatest, but I am just trying to be candid and vulnerable. Hopefully, my voice would someday help somebody see the light.

This kind of feedback only helps me to never give up. I am greatly appreciative.

SIMON KITURURU said...

That was not a compliment! Was something straight from my heart!I just wanted U know something about what I feel about Ur work here. And trust me if U were doing or saying something else that I had a different feeling , U would have known after a while. But thanks kwa kazi hii. Na najua I am not alone who think so!

Anonymous said...

Mohammed Gire is also Tanzanian.