Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Just Hate Stupid Rhetoric

I can’t blame having two little ones in the house for not being able to blog as much I want to, but in a way I do. I know there is someone out there who understands my experience. But I promise this – whenever I can squeeze some time, I will definitely write.

So don’t you give up on this blog. Keep hope alive.
Recently, Mr. Pinda, Bongoland’s Prime Minister made an appeal to the Southern African Development Community and East African Community governments to put in place legislations that would enable the private sector to participate effectively in the development of the energy sector.

Read the story here

Maybe it is just me, but I hate political rhetoric and more of it. I hate political rhetoric because it fulfills one major duty – and that is filling newspaper columns, television news and radio airwaves. Nothing practical or meaningful follows thereafter.

Let me get down to the impressive statistics that Mr. Pinda cited. For your convenience, let me quote them for you:

“Africa has the lowest access to electricity at the rate of 25% per cent. Tanzania, for instance, has only about 10% of its population accessing electricity services, with only 2% of the rural population connected to power”.

Those stats should make any sensible person jump on the let-revolutionize-the-energy-sector chorus. And I am not saying that sarcastically, because Tanzania in particular should. Besides what is the point of generating statistical numbers if they don’t act as a strategic basis and a reason for action?

What makes Mr. Pinda’s remarks as a load of crap with no practical meaning is this – Tanzania has not successfully implemented reforms he is talking about. Unless I am living in a world far apart from that of Mr. Pinda, why preach what you can’t or have no desire to implement in your own backyard?

The basis for my argument is this: Tanzania’s own Members of Parliament shut down a Bill that was set to revolutionize the energy sector. See the story here …

So my point is this: if you ain’t going to do anything, stop the stupid rhetoric.
---
Photo Credit: Michuzi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As long as TANESCO is able to pad the pockets (under the table) of certain politicians nothing will change. Once the "padding" money is all dried up, they (wabunge, NK) will look to other (?private?) sources to continue more of the same. The problem is a very basic and fundamental flaw in the system - bribery & corruption has yet to be REALLY addressed. Until that happens, most of the rhetoric is simply "moshi na vioo" (loses something in the translation, doesn't it)
Mzee Mzima